After Dad's Heart Attack

Monday, March 19, 2007

My Two Cents

It was SO great to see Dad looking so much better!!! Katie and I spent most of the day on Saturday at the hospital - and it was VERY frustrating. He was really trying to communicate to us - and we had NO idea what he was saying. Well - not no idea - we figured out much of it... "I have to go to the bathroom." " Why am I tied?" and - most depressingly "When will they give me a sleeping pill?" Dad was VERY frustrated on Saturday - bored and uncomfortable - and I think when he finally asked for something to make him sleep it was just because he couldn't stand it anymore!!

So - what a nice surprise to see him sitting up and smiling on Sunday! We had noticed on Saturday that his restraints were long enough, and he was strong enough that if he sat forward enough he could reach his tube. He was doing this MOSTLY to scratch his itchy beard and uncomfortable cuff - but once we were gone, what was to stop him from taking the tube out altogether? I don't know how he could have coughed it up - since he had been coughing around it all day on Saturday... He says the hospital staff is too cautious, and I tend to agree. Sarah and I had already decided to put our foot down today if he was still intubated. Dad wasn't as patient as we were!!


As to the digestive system - in my opinion (again Dr. Amy here...) I think since he was feeling like he had to poop (medical term) on both Saturday AND Sunday - that means there must be SOMETHING moving - and probably in the right direction. Right?

We told Dad last night that if they need to move him out of ICU today to make sure he asks for the second floor. Mom has her OLLI (Old Lady Learning Institute - hee hee - sorry Mom, I couldn't resist!) classes today, they MAY want to move him before she gets in. I also told HER to make sure she has her phone charged and on when she is at school. Hopefully when we visit him today it will be in a real room - and tomorrow it will be at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home