After Dad's Heart Attack

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Wednesday, Day 8

It's been one week now since Dad's heart attack and surgery. A week ago right about now I was just getting the message as he was headed into surgery. I wish I could say "wow, look how things have changed in just a week!" That first night we were told by a person in the waiting room that progress after surgery would be measured in weeks, not days. And I guess I can look back on the week and at least say that his life isn't as precarious now, but the progress has certainly been hard to track. The way things have changed in the past week is in my own outlook--this week has been a reminder to me that family really is my first priority. I'm also now willing to accept tiny changes as a sign of real progress.

For example: today's changes are that Dad is now on 100% nutrition (meaning no more IV nutrition; he's getting everything through a feeding tube), he was down to 50% oxygen as of the 12:30 visit today, his blood pressure was actually alarmingly up--150/60 at times (which they are trying to adjust with medication, as always), heart rate and oxygen saturation still doing well. Our 12:30 visit was quite good--Dad was a little bit alert and all the signs pointed to really good progress. At the end of the visit, however, he began to get agitated. Mom called for the nurse who shooed her out. Apparently it happened again later too. They think it was partly due to the bed (he kind of flinches whenever the snazzy new bed moves) and also to a mucous plug he was having difficulties with.

Mike, the daytime nurse, was very positive. He told us that the 100% nutrition means that his digestive system is working well. Overall, it looks as if most of his systems are doing well, although they need help. Of course he's still on the ventilator, and they are talking about starting CRRT (continuous renal replacement therapy) to help his kidneys process everything they are being asked to deal with. Mike assured us that his kidneys are just fine, but this would give them some support and allow his body to focus as much as possible on healing. It seems as if everything they do is towards this end--make the business of keeping his body going as simple as possible so all he has to do is heal his heart.

I only got a couple of minutes with Dad during the 4:30 visit, during which time not much had changed (up to 55% oxygen, changed his antibiotic to cipro). Weeks, not hours. I have to keep reminding myself that. Mike stressed to me and Mom that we really need to focus on not overstimulating Dad with long visits or lots of people. Dad may love the company and comfort of his family around him, but he needs to rest.

The 8:30 visit was not as good as the earlier ones. Dad had started running a fever and Charlotte (the nighttime nurse) said that he vomited a bit at the beginning of her shift. I suspect the vomiting may just be due to more food in his stomach, but the fever is worrisome since it may be a sign of an infection. Charlotte was ordering another chest x-ray to check things out. We forgot earlier in the day to ask about the morning x-ray (although I'm sure they would have told us anything noteworthy about it) and when I asked Charlotte, she hadn't yet had a chance to look at it.

We keep telling Dad to just rest and heal and that he's doing well and making progress. I wish I knew what was going on in his head--does he know that he's doing o.k.? Is he frustrated, bored, scared senseless? Or is all the sedation and morphine keeping him from even thinking about his situation too much? I can't wait for him to strengthen and heal so he can tell us his own experiences of this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home